This follows the announcement on June 3, 2013 by the Veterans Administration (VA) that it is accepting public comments concerning the establishment of Burn Pit Registry mandated by Congress. The Registry is supposed to be operational in January 2014.
The questionnaire will request information about the following cancers:
22 Skin (non-melanoma)
23 Skin (DK what kind)
24 Soft tissue (muscle or fat)
27 Throat - pharynx
It will also inquire concerning the following respiratory issues:
1. Cough for more than 3 weeks
2. Sputum or phlegm production
3. Wheezing or whistling in the chest
4. Shortness of breath; breathlessness
5.Decreased ability to exercise
6.Hay fever or other respiratory allergy
7. Sore throat, hoarseness, or change in voice
8. Chest pain, chest discomfort or chest tightness
9. Chronic sinus infection/sinusitis
The VA has been mandated by Congress to establish a Burn Pit Registry to monitor those in military service who may have been exposed to toxic agents as a result of burn pit exposures while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.
"Written comments and recommendations on the proposed collection of information should be received on or before August 5, 2013."